Monday, January 31, 2011

What breed of eggs to hatch?

I want to hatch some eggs. Not just any eggs. Eggs that will contribute to my plan for food and financial security.

I want to be able to sell eggs at premium prices for eating or hatching. This means there must be some kind of substantial demand for them.

Organic-ish eggs carry premium prices. Blue eggs and dark brown eggs are cool looking. High quality strains of certain breeds are in demand. Is there some happy medium in all this?

I wonder if I can hatch out Ameraucana eggs from a well-regarded line. Or perhaps Cuckoo Marans. Or maybe Welsummers or Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.

I need to identify breeders with good lines who will sell me eggs.

I also need to acquire or build an incubator.

So much to learn....

What do you suggest? What would you buy from me if I had them?

No comments:

Post a Comment