Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oh No! Snow!!

My chickens live in Southeast Texas. The weather brings us hurricanes, tornadoes, horizontal rainstorms, blazing heat, occasional freezes, and the ever-so-rare threat of snow.

I remember doing a Pro/Con list before moving here. Top of the list for Con was Hurricanes. Top of the list for Pro was Snowless. I still think it is a good trade, but just barely.

Once, while visiting Austin, we got 1/8 of an inch of snow. There were 400 traffic accidents that morning.

Some fool ordered snow for Friday, so I am planning for a weather disaster. Here is my checklist:

  • Block roost draft
  • Secure plastic sheets
  • Check overhead tarp
  • Sufficient chicken feed
  • Cache of water
  • Grit, oyster shell, BOSS
  • Wrap pipes and faucets
  • Vehicle fuel
  • Groceries

Did I miss anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment