Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wicked Egg Eater

I have an egg eater! Oh the chickeny wickedness!

How can I tell?

My production is down. I found a sticky spot (not poo) in the nest box last month. I saw a sticky spot (not poo) under the roost this month.

Two days ago one of the hens went into the nest box and started making this loud *TAP* *TAP* *TAP* noise. On investigating I saw her pecking at the dry, formerly sticky spot on the floor of the nest box. To keep track of the suspect, I put a yellow zip tie on her leg.

Postulating thin eggshells, I made sure they had plenty of oyster shell. Today I fed them yogurt-coated eggshells. Oh the chickeny joy!

Tonight, when I did my nightly check with a flashlight, I saw a shell-less egg in the litter under the perp's roost. As soon as she could see, she was ready to jump down and feast!

Wicked girl! I caught her before she could do the deed and gave the unfortunate egg a proper burial.

OK now what? I have a few ideas:
  • Put the perp in chicken jail with a bucket nest, salted with a ceramic egg
  • Same as above, but with a mustard egg
  • Build roll-away nest boxes that trap eggs behind a wall, protecting them
  • "Send her to Kentucky"
I could use some advice!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I saw your post on BYC. My friend just discovered the same problem. She is thinking: too much scratch/treats, not enough layer feed. I'll keep an eye on the the two of you. :)

    My chicks are on order.

    ReplyDelete